Around The Clock Visit Tollcross Local Parking Book Quarter

White Hart Inn Sign

Date of Design - Late 18th century

Precise Location
Above door of No.34 Grassmarket.

Description
1) Painted relief of white stag in plastered and pedimented green frame rises out of scrolled pediment above 'White Hart' door way. (Green and Grey background, black antlers and rock).
2) Carved reliefs of thistles act as capitals on piers at sides of door (painted green and gold on leaves, purple on thistles) (Doorway restored to original position in 1997)

Inscription
'White Hart' painted in gold with shadows above door.

The White Hart Inn
There is anecdotal evidence to suggest that an inn bearing our name was erected as early as the 12th century, but the earliest written records for The White Hart Inn on its current site date to 1516. This makes it the oldest surviving public house within Edinburgh's Old Town walls.

Today, the walls and alcoves of the inn pay homage to its colourful past, while regular Scottish folk music sessions, local beers, hearty meals and a selection of fine malts maintain its reputation as one of the best hostelries in town.