Tollcross News‎ > ‎

Edinburgh World Heritage grant for Acheson House

posted 17 May 2010, 13:50 by David Rintoul   [ updated 17 May 2010, 14:16 ]
EWH has awarded a grant of £39,961 for the conservation of the roof of Acheson House.

Acheson House, a category A listed building in the Old Town, dates back to 1633. The grant will not only restore the historic building back to its original character, but also help promote the use of a vital traditional material.

Owned by the City of Edinburgh Council, it is planned to incorporate Acheson House into a new museum for Edinburgh. The EWH grant will be used to help fund the re-roofing of the building in stone slates from Carmyllie in Angus. There the recently re-opened Denfind quarry provides the only source for the stone, which is essential in the conservation of historic buildings. This project will demonstrate its benefits and hopefully encourage others to use the traditional material.

Continued...