Tollcross News‎ > ‎

City schools mergers, moves and demolitions

posted 17 Sep 2011, 06:23 by David Rintoul   [ updated 17 Sep 2011, 06:32 ]

Duffel coats toggled against the chill winds and sensible lace-up shoes on their feet – carefree days for pupils enjoying a game of skipping at Burdiehouse Primary School back in 1970 on a chilly February day.

The school was opened in 1956 by the Countess of Dalkeith, with a capacity for 700 pupils, although at one point it proved so popular there were mobile units to provide extra room as numbers swelled to 1000.

But by the time it closed in the summer of 2010, that roll call had dropped to just 92, with only 40 per cent of catchment pupils choosing to attend the school. The building was hit by vandalism – and taxpayerS by some hefty bills – before the school was demolished recently.

Continued...